If you experience back pain during pregnancy, you’re not alone. The American Pregnancy Association estimates that 50 to 70 percent of pregnant women share this problem. Instead of taking painkilling drugs, which aren’t recommended during pregnancy, you have another option: prenatal chiropractic care.
This type of medical care is growing in popularity among pregnant women as a safe alternative to taking over-the-counter painkillers. In fact, the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association wholeheartedly recommends prenatal chiropractic care. Here’s how to get the most out of the chiropractic adjustments you receive at Spine Correction Center of the Rockies.
Benefits of Prenatal Chiropractic Care
No harmful side effects are known from pursuing chiropractic care throughout pregnancy. Chiropractors with prenatal care training use special tables and techniques to avoid placing unnecessary pressure on your abdomen. The benefits of prenatal chiropractic care abound.
- Establish pelvic balance: According to the American Pregnancy Association, a misaligned spine can result in a protruding abdomen, increased spinal curvature, pelvic changes, and/or posture changes. By realigning and balancing your pelvis, you amplify the room available for your developing baby and avoid intrauterine constraint.
- Relieve back pain: When your body makes postural changes caused by the shift in your center of gravity, back pain is a common side effect. This is probably the reason you’re considering prenatal chiropractic care in the first place. Pelvic balance achieved by chiropractic adjustments is the key to relieving pregnancy back pain.
- Experience an easier labor and delivery: A balanced pelvis also allows your baby to get into the best position possible when you go into labor. This lowers the chances of breech and posterior positions that could require interventions, including c-sections. In this way, prenatal chiropractic care eases the labor and delivery process and increases your chances of a natural, non-invasive birth.
Chiropractic Tips to Use at Home
In addition to providing prenatal chiropractic care at Spine Correction Center, we also advise that you follow certain healthy living tips at home to help your pregnancy go smoothly.
- Stretch and exercise daily: Gentle stretching and exercising can help the results of chiropractic adjustments last longer. Consider going on walks, swimming, riding a stationary bike, or taking a prenatal yoga class to get the safe physical activity you need. Remember to stop exercising immediately if you experience any nausea, weakness, or dizziness.
- Wear supportive shoes: Along with your back, your feet take a beating during pregnancy. This happens largely because the ligaments supporting your feet become lax. Wearing low-heeled shoes with good arch support is the best way to pamper your feet during pregnancy.
- Lift with your knees: When you bend down to pick up a child or other heavy object, bend from your knees, not your waist. This helps to protect your lower back, which is prone to injury and irritation during pregnancy. Better yet, ask someone else to handle the heavy lifting for you to save your back and prevent potential injury.
- Invest in the right pillows: Proper neck support is always important to prevent back pain, whether you’re pregnant or not. Invest in a quality pillow designed for the sleep position you prefer. Then look for a body pillow to wrap around yourself for full-body support while you sleep. A pillow that goes behind you and curls up between your knees takes the pressure off your back. Several types are available, so take your time making a selection.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Fort Collins Chiropractor
Our chiropractors Dr. Michael Farrell, DC and Dr. April Cardwell, DC both earned Doctorate of Chiropractic Degrees at the Palmer College of Chiropractic, one of the most prestigious chiropractic schools in the nation. Either doctor can provide the prenatal chiropractic care you need for a healthy, pain-free pregnancy and smooth delivery.
To schedule your free consultation, please contact Spine Correction Center in Fort Collins by calling (970) 658-5115 today!